December is almost here!
I’ve been waiting for December for a while now. Not only do I get a break from school but I also get to enjoy Christmas baking, Christmas music, Christmas movies, Christmas sweaters….
I think you get the point. I love Christmas. I’ve been wearing my reindeer sweater since October. I quote Elf year round. This is the season I live for. Honestly.
I have several traditions I uphold each year (tree decorating! baking! craft sales! choir concerts! Starbucks peppermint hot chocolate!) and one such tradition is working my way through my Christmas movie list. I watch the same set of movies every year sometime between the beginning of November (I watched Love Actually on November 9 – don’t judge) and the end of December, and I haven’t gotten sick of any titles yet.
I enjoy a variety of storytelling forms – from books to blogs, and TV shows to film – and I thought I’d interrupt our regular programming to talk about Christmas movies. Get excited!
Here’s my current list:
- The Grinch – both the animated classic and the Jim Carrey version
- Home Alone – I stick to the first two but I watch them every year without fail
- Elf – if you haven’t seen it, you’re a cotton-headed ninny-muggins
- The Family Stone – probably one of my all-time favourites!
- The Holiday
- Little Women – not technically a Christmas movie, the first scene is set at Christmas-time
- Muppets Family Christmas (this is TV special from the 1980s and it’s amazing! My sister, a tech whiz, found it online and we now have our very own DVD copy to replace our recorded VHS tape hehe)
- Muppets Christmas Carol
- While You Were Sleeping
- Four Christmases
- Ghosts of Girlfriends Past – it’s so bad but so good!
- You’ve Got Mail – this is another one that isn’t technically a Christmas movie but the Christmas scene has always stuck with me so I watch early on in the Christmas movie marathon
- Arthur Christmas – watched it for the first time last year, so this one’s new to the list
- And of course, my favourite recorded TV specials from the 90s: Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer, The Smurfs, Alvin and the Chipmunks, The Little Match Girl
This year, I plan on adding National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation to the list because I confess I haven’t seen it yet!
I plan on getting the marathon started tonight – what’s on your Christmas movie list? Let me know!
Happy First Advent!