Living in Winterpeg, as it’s so often and lovingly referred, is awesome…but long winters and extreme weather can take its toll on you. Today, we got our first taste of winter – though the flurry action we saw today didn’t stick, I know we’re not far from icy, snow-covered days. Romantic in December (I’m a sucker for a white Christmas), by January, I’m usually over it.
So how do Winnipeggers get over the cold? Well, we’re pretty hearty folk and we don’t just survive in winter – we thrive. We skate, we play hockey (okay, I’m excluded from the “we” here, but in general, this is all true!), we build snowmen, and go sledding (both of which I can do!). But we also like to escape to tropical getaways!
With the knowledge that winter is on its way (possibly sooner than I’d like), I can’t help but dream about sunny destinations where there’s nothing but beach for miles, unlimited piña coladas by the pool, and time to relax. Each year, my parents typically head out on a week-long all-inclusive vacation (my sister and I were spoiled when we were younger and often got to go along! Alas, usually I’m left here now! Sad!) – life goal: get a good job that will allow for me to go on an all-inclusive vacation in the winter. Just the other day, my mom told me about a good deal on flights to Hawaii and I straight up told her she wasn’t allowed to go without me. I’ll pay my own way. I’ll squish into a suitcase (I’m short, I’ll fit). Whatever it takes.
With that said, because I’m wearing slippers, pjs, and am cuddled up in front of a fire (okay, it’s not that cold out, I just like being cozy), here are the tropical destinations I’m dreaming about. Maybe one day, I’ll get there!
Beachy Getaways – Top 10 Destinations
- Hawaii. No mosquitos, really pretty, volcanoes, enough said.
- Jamaica. Apparently the rum is delicious. Worth it.
- Barbados. The heroine of my one of my favourite childhood books, The Witch of Blackbird Pond, is from Barbados. I used to want to be her, so I should probably go to Barbados. Am I right?
- The Bahamas. Why not?
- Bora Bora. I just want to, okay!
- Tahiti. It just sounds exotic and I need to go.
- Fiji. Well, Fiji Water is a thing for a reason.
- Santorini, Greece. This one is happening for sure. I don’t know when, but it’s been on my list forever.
- Barcelona, Spain. I’d like to go again. And again. And again.
- Tofino, British Columbia. Manitobans love Tofino. I’d like to check it out.
Honestly, I could go on and on. Thailand. Belize. Mexico. It all sounds go to me! So, who’s with me? Where would you like to go on your next winter vacation? Do you like it hot or do you prefer to stay in the winter spirit with some alpine adventures? I’d love to hear from you!
Until next week, stay warm!
4 responses to “Beachy keen!”
Your reason for wanting to visit Tahiti is the same as mine, lol! Love this list and couldn’t agree more with it.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Haha, it’s a great reason! Thanks, Tannis!
Ok, so I can only speak to a few of these but;
– Hawaii is AMAZING. It’s a little touristy, but the people are so nice, the beaches are beautiful, and the food is fresh.
– Greece is INCREDIBLE. Crystal clear water, good food, and rich history. I’ve only been on the Adriatic cost, the island of Corfu, and another must see in the Adriatic is Croatia!
– Tofino is so peaceful. There are so many beautiful places to visit in Canada, and BC tops the list.
Great post 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person